Behind the Mask

We spend a lot of time trying to fit into what other people expect, but if you really look at it, those people don’t even live by the rules they want us to follow.

Truth is, everybody has a dark side. Having messed up or heavy thoughts doesn't mean you are a monster, it just means you are human. Having a thought is one thing, acting on it is something else. But people panic the second you speak on it.

I learned that the hard way. Somebody asked me a real question once about hurting myself or others, and I gave a real answer: who hasn't thought about that? Next thing I knew, they treated me like I lost my mind and sent me off for evaluation. A couple days later the doctors sent me home because I was fine. Another time, my parents thought I was high when I was actually going through withdrawals. That ended the same way. Those moments taught me one main thing, and that was to keep my mouth shut. I started putting on a mask just to make everybody else feel comfortable, while on the inside I was sinking deeper into depression and addiction just trying to survive.

You see the same thing with higher education. Sure, we need doctors and specialists. But a book can only teach you so much. The real test is when a doctor gets a patient that isn't in any manual. That is when you see who can actually think on their feet versus who just memorized words for a degree. But most people only care about the paper, not the actual mind.

Looking back, that is why I was so bored in school. I couldn't just sit there and take things at face value. A lot of what we are taught is just somebody else's opinion that got written down. It is not ultimate truth, it is just what someone thought they figured out back then.

That is why I realized something a few years back. The leader you choose to follow is the leader you become. You don't need to spend your life chasing leadership or trying to fit into a box. Find people who let you be yourself. You don't have to agree with everybody, but you can respect the fact that they have the courage to be different.

Expecting everybody to think the exact same way isn't unity. That is just control.

We are letting technology and modern life make us lazy in how we think. We are moving backward when it comes to real truth, letting other people tell us what to believe just so nobody gets uncomfortable.

So I'm not here to tell you who is right or wrong, I just want you to ask yourself a question. When you listen to someone like me, are you listening to actually think, or are you just looking for something to agree with? Are you open to the real person in front of you, or do you only want the version that keeps you feeling safe?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The leader we choose to follow is the leader we become

The Script and The Sovereign

The $6,000 Handshake